Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Couch surfing

Josiane and Eric should be arriving any moment at YVR airport. They are from Sherbrooke, Quebec. I haven't met them yet but I hopefully will before midnight. They will be staying with me for 3 nights. They are in Vancouver until Feb 9th for a story telling festival somewhere in town. Eric is a story teller.

They contacted me through couchsurfing.com, an organization of travelers and hosts that circles the globe. I joined in June 2007 and have hosted 32 people from 11 countries in the first 16 months. Some contact me because I am an artist, some because I am gay, some because I was a cyclist, some because of my central location and some because I have lots of references. The youngest has been 18 and the oldest around my own age. They stay for free. Sometimes we prepare meals together and sometimes we go out or we do our own activities, but so far I have not stayed in the homes of other couch surfers. I travel vicariously through my guests.

Several of my friends are amazed that I open my home to complete strangers, but I don't feel that way about them. I have not been too inconvenienced or taken advantage of and certainly not robbed or intentionally put out. Sometimes I have felt a bit overwhelmed, that that was the result of saying yes to too many people. Literally, I could have had double the number of guests if I had saved no time for myself and other visiting friends. It gives me a reason to keep my place clean and I have gained a few very strong friendships out of it.

I give couples my room and I sleep on the couch. That gives them their privacy and allows me to move around in the morning getting ready for work without disturbing them. I often do this for visiting friends too, so I am somewhat used to it. It is well worth it for the people I meet. I am hoping to take it a couple nights at the story telling festival too. :o)

.

No comments: