Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Bill & Harry


The rains have returned with mild temperatures to deal a deadly blow to Winter (Part I). 25 days after it first snowed the parks and fields are still mostly snow-covered in spite of 2 days of moderate to heavy rains. The sidewalks downtown are completely clear now. I have switched back to my running shoes and this morning I even walked to work. I didn't step in slush or snow the whole way. The rains will continue another few days with no minus temperatures in the forecast. I am even inclined to believe the forecasts this time.

The "normal" weather returned just in time for a 3-day visit from my friends Bill & Harry who live in Winnipeg. The above-freezing temperatures are quite a treat for them. In Winnipeg -10C is a warm spell at this time of year. They waited in the Fountainhead Pub from 3 until I got home at 5. They have toured up Davie St in the rain with me and had dinner in the Luxy Cafe, an Italian eatery that has always been one of their favourites. I regret its not sunny for them but they don't really mind. It makes them nostalgic for the wet winters they knew when they lived here a decade ago. I've given them my room so I can move around the condo without disturbing them tomorrow morning. I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight. I'm so tired I don't think it will matter.

No comments: