Sunday, January 25, 2009

Rich & Luis


After 11 days of foggy weather we have enjoyed a sunny but cold weekend. Yesterday I celebrated by shopping for new jeans. Sales were everywhere so I bought underwear, a T-shirt, 2 great shirts and two pairs of jeans.

Rich & Luis came over in the evening to watch a DVD I had rented and to show me their photos of Colombia. The pictures were great, mostly of Medellin and few of Bogota, Cartegena and some historic smaller towns. Lots of family pics too as Luis had been living illegally on Long Island for a few years before immigrating legally to Canada last summer, and that prevented him from going anywhere near an airport where the authorities would nab him. Fortunately for them, their trip caused them to miss 90% of our worst weather this winter. They brought me back a delicate clay replica of a rural bus, called a "chiva" (see the photo), painted in the Colombian national colours and decorated with bags, chickens, vegetables, baskets of fruit and a pig on the roof. There are even four clay figures the chiva. It is only 8cm long at best but the facial expressions, the painstakingly painted clothes, hair and other details are all clear. Such a little treasure!

The DVD we watched was part of my mail-order subscription to Videomatica, a local specialty DVD store. They has sent me "The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life of Ethan Green". I had watched in Friday night and enjoyed it terrifically. I has smoked a joint though and was too stoned to follow the plot completely. It is just as funny sober and well worth a second viewing. I'd like to buy this one. Rich and Luis loved it too.

No comments: