Thursday, January 15, 2009

Meig's Disease

All morning I seemed to be aware of where my sister must be in hospital at any particular moment. At 1:20 pm I called her friend who dropped her off at the hospital and she told me that the surgery had started late. I called again around 4:20, just before leaving work, and her friend told me the news. The tumour isn't cancer but Meig's Syndrome, which caused pleural effusion (water in the lining of the lungs) and a cyst on the ovaries. The symptoms disappear once the tumour is removed. She had been told that 1/80 off those with her symptoms turn out to have Meig's instead of cancer but the odds were so small that we assumed it must be cancer. She tells me the doctors were shocked it wasn't cancer and all the medical staff is so happy for her.

So this fairy tale ending comes the same week of Obama's inauguration and my union voting on the contract settlement that will give each of us a $4,000 signing bonus. Tomorrow the forecast is that the fog will lift and part and we will have a sunny mild weekend of above average temperatures. Two close friends have just returned from a month away and my friend Derko is coming down from Kelowna for a short visit next week. Does life get better than this? :oD
.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow...that is incredible news! Congrats and hope for a speedy recovery for your sister!

WS