Saturday, August 22, 2009

Cancellations

Men - you can't live with them.

I was taken aback when tall, dark and handsome Fluffernutter singled me out at the gathering in Breitenbush to ask me if he could come up to Vancouver with his boyfriend Cory this weekend to stay with and hang out together. In three previous gatherings where he attended I have never gotten up the nerve to chat with him. His beauty was intimidating and he usually seemed occupied with one young Fae or another. He's into boy drag, dressing up as a gangster, erotic cop or Indian warrior, and he exudes sexual energy, flirtatiously confronting his admirers without walls or hesitations. He slipped me a French kiss when I invited him and Cory to stay with me. He is 45 and Cory is 20. I had no doubt that this would be a sexually charged weekend.

But the 5 days in incommunicado at Breitenbush was the death knell to his relationship with Cory. When he returned Cory dumped him. He still pondered the idea of coming up from Seattle anyway but told me not to hold his reservation. That was the last I heard from him.

My friend Steve Coderre had an Asian friend named Leo living in Saskatoon who was coming to Vancouver. He could not host Leo the whole 2 weeks of his visit so he asked if I would host him the second week, which would be next week. He put Leo and I into email and phone contact and Leo called me before I left for Breitenbush. He asked if I was single and what I liked to do. It was clear he was hunting for either a relationship or a sexual hook-up. I was hesitant, not knowing anything about him except that he was 28, handsome and lonely, but I promised to call him when I returned from Breitenbush. When I did, he had canceled his plans to come to Vancouver at the last moment, no explanation given.

Then there is Omar, the slender-as-a-rake sweet and sexy Mexican couch surfer who stayed with me two years ago. He called me two weeks ago. I didn't even know he was back in Canada. He asked if he could stash a backpack at my place while he went to Vancouver Island. I agreed. When he came by to drop it off a week and a half ago, the same night Leo had called, he arrived with a bottle of wine and hung around for the evening. We ended up cuddling on the couch and getting into some pretty heavy foreplay. I am sure we both had blue balls by the time he left.

He told me he had to return home last Tuesday so I waited for him to call me when I got home Monday night. I skipped the 3 films I had tickets for at the Vancouver Queer Film Festival that night but he didn't call. There was no email or phone call from him and I was beginning to think he had abandoned his pack forever. Then came an email Thursday night. Somehow he was still on Vancouver Island and returning to Vancouver yesterday. He suggested he drop by for lunch and make a dinner together at my place. I told him I had to work and didn't get home until 5:30. I suggested a salmon dinner with pasta, et al, and that he bring the wine again. Yes, I had my hopes up, but he didn't show. I eventually got an email that he didn't reach the mainland until 6pm, but he made no attempt to call be when he reached downtown.

So my summer free of sex continues. Probably, it is for the better. More than anything else, I needed this weekend to be peaceful and quiet, as I have been struggling to get my life in balance and catch up on my rest since Breitenbush.

But nothing is as it seems, it seems, so I have no idea what the weekend has in store for me. I have two more films at the Queer Film Festival and breakfast with Eric and Fred, my French ex-couch surfing friends, in an hour and a half. I haven't seen either of them in 3 weeks as their restaurant work has kept them extremely busy.

No comments: