Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring...


It was pretty cool out yesterday but at least it was sunny. My friend Larry who now lives in Sechelt stayed over last night and today we went for a coffee with his blind friend Mike and his seeing-eye dog Luke. We sat outside a Blenz cafe on Robson St watching a parade of passersby who often paused to fawn over Luke, who couldn't be less interested in them.

Mike is an amazing guy. He developed tears in his retina from his diabetes. It was an ophthalmologist unfamiliar with the laser equipment who blinded him while trying to repair the tears. In the past 10 years he has adapted his life to full functionality with the help of his dog and a host of talking technologies. He has the most positive outlook on life and his disability doesn't seem to slow him down at all.

On the other hand, I was feeling particularly hesitant with the new ramps, curbs and other physical obstacles that seemed to be more of a challenge for me than him. I am also not the type of guy who delights in learning new technologies. It frightens me how resigned I have become, how my life has become more limited in range. It even bothered me to sit outside on a beautiful day watching others do what I used to be able to enjoy.

I have been too cocooned by cold and ice over the winter. I need to get out and push myself to do more now that the conditions are more favourable. My upcoming trip to Utah to see Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks at the end of April should be a good push.

No comments: