Monday, December 29, 2008

Sister

Since my last post I have been thinking a lot about my sister who, until last night, I hadn't spoken with since May '04. We were both going through difficult emotional situations then, especially her at that point. We loggerheaded over a sensative family issue and we stopped speaking to each other. Our silence troubled me greatly, even though I was convinced she'd never speak to me again regardless of what I said.

Christmas Day I spoke with my brother in Oakville and he told me my sister has just been in hospital and the doctors found a tumour the size of a grapefruit in her abdomen, probably on her uterus, that is growing and probably malignant. The news sickened me. I called and left her a message while she was still in hospital saying I would be happy to help any way I could. She returned my call last night and we talked for more than an hour. Her attitude about the cancer is very positive and she expressed great interest in my welfare. She even took some of the responsibility for the rift between us even though I had no idea why she was so hostile for a year before the rift happened. I was totally pepared to forgive her though I wasn't buying her entire interptretation of what happened. Anyway, she is driving in from Langley tonight to meet me for dinner. I had no idea how much I this change would impact on me. I rarely cry, but last night in bed the tears kept flowing. They weren't tears of sadness or joy, just a release of stress I no longer needed to hold onto.

No comments: