Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Breathe

7:30 - I am lying under the fug of my blankets listening to the hiss and slosh of tires on slush. I don't need to get up to know that it's snowing, but I do, only to put on a Joni Mitchell CD and listen to the sultry saxophones, funky bass and her smoky voice singing, "Come In From The Cold".

8:30 - I call in to work saying that I can't make it to the bus stop safely. I'm not going to risk breaking my leg again, especially when I can't get up when I fall and I always fall when I slip. Life can be a bitch some days. My Team Leader says he's sure the sidewalks will be salted soon. Yeah, right after they have been reduced to pack ice. I am more concerned about what will fall the rest of the day if I do go to work as it shows no sign of letting up. It's chilly as hell in my condo but I can't stay in bed all day. I set the shower water as hot as I can stand it. In spite of this, even the shower curtain feels cold against my skin.

10:30 - The weather forecast shows that it will be going down to -10C and -12C the next two nights. It will warm up slightly on Sunday, just enough for it to start snowing again. I have the two front burners of my stove on medium to help warm the place.

3:30 - It has almost stopped snowing. We have about 12 cm or so of the wet stuff. The trees are beautiful but the streets are treacherous. Apparently city buses aren't going down the steep hill to the back door of my building where I would usually get off because they lose control. I am glad I stayed home. I never would have made it in one piece.

No comments: