Monday, December 15, 2008

Freeze Out - Day 2

I'm sitting at work, having successfully arrived here without falling. It wasn't easy getting those leotards on. And they don't make those things with flies either. No wonder women take so long when they go to the toilets. It wasn't that cold, really--just cold enough keep the ice on the sidewalks frozen. I was able to get out the back door and to the bus stop on Davie St without hitting any major patches of ice, but I won't be able to use the bus stop closest to home when I return because it stops beside the community garden and the sidewalks beside the garden are a frozen nightmare. I'll have to ride an extra two blocks, cross the street and cross again to get around that major obstacle.

The kicker that got me to risk the sidewalks to come to work, besides the stained glass gifts I had made for seniors, was that as future forecasts unfold the temperatures are just getting lower. By Friday it will be -12C (10F). I can't justify taking a whole week off. If the flurries on Tuesday night/Wednesday result in real accumulations then I might have to take the last three days of the week off. The last time the temperatures remained below freezing for a whole week was over Christmas 10 years ago.

I'm doing my damndest not to fall. It won't be easy to last the whole week, but at least it isn't -29C with a windchill of -45C as in Winnipeg! Small mercies. On the plus side, those pesky pine beetles are getting their asses frozen, finally.

No comments: