Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What is it that I can do for you?

He is not a close friend, just a younger guy I had met a few times before. In October we spent a weekend with other friends out of town. We cuddled for a few hours over those two days, nothing sexual or romantic, just gentle, respectful nurturing, but it was a real treat for me as I wasn't used to it.

When we returned to the city we made little effort to stay in touch. We had no expectations. I called him twice over, once right after the weekend and once a month later just to check in with him. He had started seeing someone and was excited about that. He told me he wanted to remain friends, that he would build a ramp at his front door to make it easier for me to climb the steps that had no railings. I said that seemed like too much trouble but he said it was important that he could welcome me into his home.

In December he called me after seeing a stained glass exhibit somewhere. He was excited by the art he saw and wanted me to teach him, but it was Christmas and I was quite busy. I put off returning his call. Before I knew it the new year had arrived. I felt a bit guilty about not calling earlier.

I called him on a Sunday evening after spending the afternoon working on window I am making. There was a fair bit ambient noise when he picked up. I asked if I had caught him at a bad time. He said no, that he was relaxing in a coffee shop. We talked for a minute, mostly me asking him how his life was going and him answering. Then he suddenly says, "I am wondering what it is that I can do for you?" with a touch of impatience in his voice.

I was caught off guard. "Uh, nothing really" I replied, then I reminded him of his call asking about stained glass lessons. His voice took on an apologetic tone and he even sounded interested for a few seconds, but then came the excuses as to why it would not be a good time to have lessons for the next couple months. Whenever, I replied.

But his words remained in my head: "What is it I can do for you?" like a business call, but not. He was really saying Let me get this call over with so I can get on with my life. He was telling me I am not his friend, that he doesn't enjoy talking to me.

"What is it that I can do for you?" Nothing.....REALLY!

No comments: