Sunday, January 3, 2010

Fresh from Brazil



Renan (pronounced HEY-na) arrived yesterday. His scheduled arrival at YVR was 9:30 so I hustled off to Joe's for an early breakfast an hour before that. Back home I did last minute cleaning and straightening. He didn't arrive and didn't arrive so I started downloading music and making a pattern for my second tulip window. I completed the entire 220-piece pattern and had cut, foiled and soldered 12 pieces before he finally showed up at my door. That was 4pm.

My sister arrived at the same moment to drop my Christmas present (we're Ukrainian wanna-bes) and she brought with her three frozen turkey dinners. I told Renan to relax and that I'd be back in 5 minutes after I let her into the parking garage. He nods and says yes to most things, not really understanding. When we walked back in he was half naked. "I didn't flinch when I saw him, did I? my sister asked, after Renan jumped into the shower. No, did I? I replied.

He wasn't hungry so we talked for an hour or so after he was dry again. Sis liked him (who wouldn't) and stayed until 9pm. We put her frozen dinners in the freezer and I took them out to a local sushi restaurant where we ate until it hurt.

Renan seems comfortable with my gayness. The true sign he is straight is that he is so relaxed about it, which my younger gay couch surfers never are. I'm not lecherous or obsessive, but it's wonderful to meet a young man who has the glow of someone raised on love and respect who obviously has never been deeply disappointed or hurt. It brings out my protective fathering instinct.

No comments: