Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Avatar

Last night I made an attempt to see the hot new high-budget film by James Cameron, “Avatar”. When I first heard about it, it’s cheesy title, that trivializes a deeply meaningful spiritual concept, and it’s emphasis on 3-D and special effects turned me quite off. I assumed it is a movie for kids, albeit over-aged kids for the most part. But then I kept hearing positive reviews from others who were “surprised” at how good it was so I decided to give it another chance.

Last night the clouds parted, temporarily, but long enough walk to the cinema without fearing I’d have to sit for three hours while I slowly dried off. The Scotiabank Theatres are housed in a huge, new, vacuous mixed use building filled all cold chrome, glass and technology, designed to handle stampedes of mainstream movie goers.

I have lined-up before for half an hour, until my legs were begging for me to sit down. Then I fought for one of only a handful of seats I can access in these new-styled theatres. They are always on the main aisle that accesses the aisles of up and down stairs that I cannot do. The seats I can access are popular for their great leg room so I often have to beg to get one of them away from some long-legged youth, or go to an usher and ask them to ask someone to relinquish their seat for me. These days I bring a cane both to aid me while lining up and negotiating my way through crowds of distracted youths and to emphasize the point that I am disabled.

For this effort, I get to listen to half an hour of blaring commercials that can almost drown out the sea of chatting teenagers before the movie begins. There is always a cold draught of air conditioning that sinks down from above the main aisle so I have learned to wear a sweater.

But I was spared these pleasures last night. After lining up behind kids with their dates clutching their skateboards (how does one go on a date with someone on a skateboard?) I found out both evening shows were already sold out more than an hour in advance. Maybe next month.

No comments: