Saturday, January 23, 2010

Fallin' Down

I've had a couple of falls in the past 10 days, one on the 13th when I was getting off a bus to get to work, the other in my pod at work just returning from getting a drink of water. They ended a period of just over 5 months without a fall.

The first fall happened when an impatient woman crowding up to the door wasn't giving me space to hold the bus's door frame as I was stepping down. I decided I could step around her without holding onto anything. Think positively, I said to myself, just before I lost my balance. I grabbed at a light standard as I fell, which softened the fall. I wasn't bruised or hurt in any way.

The second fall was two days ago after a night of fasting. My new naturopath, Larry Chan, asked that I fast for a saliva test, which meant no supplements for 24 hours, no food or water, including diabetes medicines (I use pills). I was so nervous about getting there and surviving the fast safely that I barely slept all night. The exhaustion probably played a bigger role than the fasting.

I made it to my appointment for testing, waited to see the naturopath after that, and got back to my workplace so I could take my medicines and get some food before I started work. But that wasn't good enough. I fell about an hour later, scuffing my foot on the carpet, which caused the fall as I have no knee muscles left. I fell hard on both knees, scraping and bruising them both, but not too seriously. They are mostly recovered already.

I slept about 12 hours yesterday and had another good sleep last night so I am caught up on sleep. The falls have lowered my fall average over the past 10 falls to 88 days from almost 99. The next couple falls will likely lower it much more as my two longest periods without a fall will no longer be part of my average.

I am disheartened but not as depressed about it as I would have been a couple years ago. Dr Chan has given me some hope for the future too, as he is fairly certain that a combination of testosterone and growth hormone treatments will have a noticeable impact on my strength. First, I need to meet with Dr Taylor, my GP, to have my hormone levels tested (Tuesday). I also need to take a kidney cleanse for two weeks and de-acidify and rehydrate my body, which I begin to do today. I am using chlorophyll in water three times per day and cutting out coffee from now on. The latter will be a challenge for the next few days.

No comments: