Monday, October 11, 2010

VIFF Days 8 to 11 - Thanksgiving weekend

Where have I been the last few days? Thursday, Day 8, started off well, another fine day though I was a bit tired. I saw "Anton Checkov's 'The Duel'" (4-star), the German film "Transfer", a sci-fi drama (4-star) and "Force of Nature: David Suzuki", a doc on Suzuki's work with Suzuki in a Q & A afterwards (also 4-star).

It was during this last one that I realized I was more than tired--I was coming down with a sore throat and head cold. I sat through "Aftershock", the Chinese tear-jerker blockbuster that follows 32 years in the life of a family torn apart by the great earthquake of 1976 (4-star). Then I limped home to succumb to my illness in bed.

I did next to nothing the rest of that night or Friday. Ironically, wet weather and a selection of mediocre films that day and the next made my time off rather perfect. It felt wonderful to be at home doing nothing. Just when I began feeling strong again on Saturday the heavy rain came and convinced me to stay home.

Sunday, Day 11, I took on another full slate of 5 films including "Another Year" (UK, 4-star), "The Ugly Duckling" (Russia, claymation, 3-star), "I Am" (India, 4-star), "The Robber" (Germany, 4-star) and "Of Gods & Men" (Algeria, 4-star). The last was the best, about a Benedictine monastery in Algeria that is attacked by terrorists. Of course they know the danger is coming and each monk makes a conscious choice to stay, that bleeds into the Romanist concept of martyrdom, but it was still a good film. Another Year was excellent too, with Jim Broadbent and Ruby Sheen playing the main couple and a great supporting actress as 'Mary', their neurotic friend.

Today my first film starts at noon. I already have a mile-long walk in, have bought groceries, had breakfast and picked up my tickets. It's only 10:50am. Still time to relax before I head out again.

No comments: