Friday, October 1, 2010

VIFF DAY 1 - couch potato Olympics

I have a schedule mapped out to see 80 feature-length films over 16 days of the Vancouver International Film Festival (VIFF), which started yesterday.

There were no major first day glitches or problems yesterday. The weather was perfect, which meant no line-ups in the rain, no delays, cancellations or dead loss films. I was able to get to each film in plenty of time and have empty seats around me for each of the 5 films, and I didn't fall. I had a bit of a struggle getting the box office to honour my voucher for a festival program which I was owed, but one my 3rd attempt I got a supervisor to ask for me and she was successful. Other than that I had a reluctant digestion that caused me some worry but no problem, and I was quite tired in spite of lots of rest the night before.

The first film was a Czech one set in WWII called the Protector, and it proved to be the best of the day. The second was a 2+ hr-long series of shorts compiled in honour of the 200th birthday celebration of the start of the Mexican Revolution, called 'Revolucion'. Some of the shots were interesting. The third was a slow Romanian film called "Morgen" about a rural Romanian dead weight who takes in an illegal Turkish refugee who is trying to get to Germany. The fourth was a Uruguayan film called "Noberto's Deadline" and the fifth was a documentary of a Danish comedy troupe, two Korean Danes and their Danish director who visits North Korea. It was a bit disturbing what they are put through but it was good for a few laughs at the end of the day.

Today the films I have selected promise to be better. I'll soon find out.

No comments: