Thursday, October 14, 2010

VIFF Days 12-14

OK, five more films each day. On Tuesday, I swapped my first film from an Iranian one to another Spanish one, "Born To Suffer". The first two wonderful Spanish films I have seen this year, "Buitiful" and "Cell 211", did not make the Alvodovar-styled error of too much talk and explanation as most Spanish films do, but "Born To Suffer" does. It was a hilarious story though, of an elderly spinster who becomes worried that her nieces will take away her faithful, competent servant and place her in a home, so she convinces her maid to marry her by promising to make her her heir. 3.5 stars.

I had a rather nasty run-in in Theatre 4 for the next film when I was kicked out a seat the management had intended to reserve but had not. I cooperated by moving but it put me into a terrible mood and that ruined the 2nd film for me. It was a Palestinian film named "Zindeeq". I saw enough to get the drift and see that it was most likely a 3-star. Next was popular "Certified Copy" with Juliette Binoche, a bizarre story of an afternoon encounter between a writer and a fan that gets so carried away in fantasy play that it becomes confusing for all (a reluctant 4-star).

Then came "Cry Rock" and "Mammalian", two Canadian short films one low interest (2-star).

No comments: