Monday, October 26, 2009

A weekend on the Sunshine Coast



At Raspberry Showboat's 50th birthday party on the 18th, his husband Jasmine Amethyst invited me to a come to the Sunshine Coast this past weekend to celebrate with other Faeries. I got a ride with my close friend Stitch, who picked me up from work at lunchtime. We made the 1:30 ferry to Langdale and were at Tulip's home, the Landing Place, an hour or so later.
Why is it called the "Sunshine Coast"? Why did the Norse call that island iceberg "Greenland"? Why is North Korea called the "The People's Democratic Republic of Korea"? Why does Microsoft Vista claim to be problem-free? Who knows; it was raining of course.

Jazzy and Raspberry Showboat were already there. They had brought a mountain of food that Jazzy had bought or prepared. We sipped tea, relaxed and waited for the others to arrive. Epick finished his banquet work around 4 and Jazzy drove to the ferry to pick him up around 5:30. Morgain Lessloss didn't arrive until much later, around 10pm. Tangerine was ill, Sat Dharna ate something questionable and Temple was tied up with work so there were only seven of us.

It was a great weekend. I felt very pampered with all of Jazzy's cooking, which was delicious. There were tons of sugary snacks but I was able to avoid most of them. Saturday was deliciously sunny. The others participated in a sweat lodge and late evening hot tub soaks. I couldn't do the sweat lodge as even crawling inside and sitting upright for one or two hours isn't possible for me now. I wouldn't want to anyway, as I hate high heat and dark, enclosed spaces that are not easy to escape from. So I had plenty of quiet time Saturday afternoon to read. I am reading Thomas Moore's "Care of the Soul". I think I could have done the hot tub, but it is always tricky for me to get out. As it was, I was too tired by late evening anyway.

The real blessing of the weekend was being assigned to sleep with Epick, a Faerie I had not got to know well before. He's chatty and likes to talk about himself, as most young guys do, but he is intelligent and has had a difficult and interesting life so it was fun listening to him. He is handsome too. In bed, he wanted me to cuddle him. It has been a long time since I have cuddled with another man all night, and even longer since doing with someone as attractive and fit as him. Both of us are wary of casual sex, so it worked out perfectly that touch, not sex, was our mutual priority. The fact that he likes to sleep under half a ton of blankets was forgivable.

Two nights of cuddling did wonders to sooth my soul. I felt I was floating when I got home. I told him I would be open to doing it again. He said he'd think about it. I think we are beginning to trust each other fairly well but one usually prefers the convenience of his own bed and living arrangements. I know I do, and I cannot get into his place with all the stairs it would require. At least I hope we remain friends.

PHOTO 1: Jasmine Amethyst (Jazzy)
PHOTO 2: Raspberry Showboat & Bonna
PHOTO 3: Morgain Lessloss, Epick & Stitch
PHOTO 4: Jasmine & Tulip in kitchen
PHOTO 5: Tulip & Bonna
PHOTO 6: Stitch & his son Kevin

No comments: