Monday, October 26, 2009

Rough month

Things have finally settled down after a rough start to the month. The sore throat I acquired on the 25th of September turned out to be the H1N1 virus, in retrospect. My symptoms, including the blistered throat without phlegm, the dry cough, lack of congestion, chills and aches, matched the symptoms published. It hammered me hard for three days, and weakened me somewhat for a couple weeks.

Of course, with the Vancouver International Film Festival starting on Oct 1st, it was challenging to take in 5 or 6 films per day. I tried meditating or just staying quiet between films but it was draining. Then I discovered my bed bug infestation after only two days of the festival and I missed out on seven films while I was washing, "roasting" in a hot dryer and bagging everything in my drawers, closets, etc, while I was still sick. I missed a few more while I waited my old mattress and box spring to be collected and my new ones to be delivered. I also had to make arrangements for others to help me bag the new ones with vinyl covers to avoid reinfestation.

I feel good that the pain and chaos is now all behind me while the hype and panic about the virus is swirling around at its loudest. It's rather like having already seen a film before everyone starts raving about it. I am sure this could be a serious virus for those who have frail health, but the hype is not justified. The Feds have finally got the vaccine ready for the public but it will likely do more damage than good now that the virus in already rampant in schools and workplaces. The vaccine is 50% owned by Donald Rumsfeld's corporation, which has made a couple billion dollars from the over-heated hype, while many of those who get the vaccine will get sicker because of it. One co-worker even says she plans to get the vaccine even though she has already had it. There is no sense speaking logically to anyone who has bought into the panic and hype.

With these troubles behind me, the later part of October feels like a summer breeze, albeit a rather cool, wet one. This week I'll get a letter off to strata council asking them to pay for my spraying of my condo. I doubt they will do, as they have not notified my neighbours above, below and on either side, who are possibly now going to be infested. I will give them a month to answer before approaching a lawyer about their removal of the disabled access through our courtyard, since my efforts to get their attention or a response from City Council have fallen on deaf and disinterested ears.

I also promised Raspberry Showboat a stained glass hanging of an ankh symbol for his 50th birthday, which I need to design. Both Butterfly Menace and Epick are interested in lessons and I feel drawn to design a Celtic window for Tulip's front door at the Landing Place. It's time to get my creative juices flowing again.

No comments: