Sunday, March 28, 2010

Earth Hour

Earth Hour has come and gone. Last year Danzante, Gerry, myself and a few friends celebrated Gerry's birthday on this day. We lit candles (which give off as much heat as light bulbs) and watched the surrounding buildings from their penthouse condo to see the lights go off. We didn't notice anything obvious.

This year I was alone at home. I turned off everything but a small night light in the kitchen and the television, and watched the DVD I had rented. Most people would chastise me for not turning the TV off, but I am not into sitting in the dark or doing actions for show only.

The truth is I normally keep most of the lights off when I am home alone in the evenings. I never turn on the heat in my apartment, even in winter. I microwave instead of using the oven when possible and I recycle everything, including the ends of toilet paper rolls. I only watch DVDs 3-4 hr/wk. I walk or use public transit, and before that I used my bicycle instead of a car, even when I traveled. I have never been wasteful and detest unnecessary packaging.

Now that they've had their little show most people will go back to bombing around in their cars, firing up their barbecues and hot tubs and making lots of garbage. But sustainability is not a show. It's away of life. Their mini-effort for Earth Hour, sans candles, would have to be repeated continuously for four years for each cross-continental airline flight they make, if they were serious about wanting to live within a sustainable carbon footprint. I never hear about people changing their vacation plans for the sake of the planet.

No comments: