Sunday, March 21, 2010

100 day writing mission

For the past 3 years I have been stuck at a critical point of my novel, Chapter 27. I haven't actually been working on it much. I've evaded facing my confusion over how the plot should thicken by revising the previous 26 chapters, which I have now done to my satisfaction, at least for now.

But enough is enough. I need to put my nose to the grindstone and tackle it head on. I have decided to make a 100-day push to get it done. I am keeping a writing journal and focusing on NOT getting derailed again. Yesterday I spent a couple hours working on it and actually made some progress. At least it's a start.

One distracting factor that might have become an obstacle eliminated itself yesterday. Last weekend I met a rather cute Chinese man who seemed quite smitten with me and definitely wanted to see me again. I could even see myself dating him, in spite of past experiences with Chinese men I've tried to date. I don't mean to be racist but there are certain stereotypes that have been reinforced almost every time. This fellow, like the others, has a financial career, works extended hours, has very few if any friends, lives a closeted life with members of his extended family and although he's well into adulthood he has almost no romantic or sexual history. Even vanilla sex is too risque for most Chinese guys I've met and definitely no public displays of affection are allowed.

In spite of being cute, affectionate and obviously smitten with me last weekend, he was uncomfortable being touched, did not care about being sexually satisfied and his kisses, tight-lipped as a clam shell, consisted of bumping his mouth on my face near but not on my lips. At least he was caring and had more passion than other Chinese guys I had tried to date. It has been a LONG time since I have dated anyone so I thought I'd give it a little more time.

He agreed to spend Saturday night with me. I made it clear that my invitation was for ALL night - in bed - naked - and he agreed to this a bit hesitantly. He works 5 hours on Saturday, his choice of hours, and he told me he likes to get up at 6:30 am even on Saturdays. He would likely be finished by mid-afternoon and I presumed we would have most of the rest of the day and night together. He agreed to call me on Friday to confirm.

I thought I'd make him dinner, but when he didn't call Friday I couldn't confirm what he would like to eat. I decided it might be better to take him out for dinner and that would allow me more time to write. Before I knew it, it was 5pm. I stopped writing, and showered and changed my clothes. By 6:30 I realized dinner was not in the offing so I made myself a light meal. Another friend dropped by at 7 and to quell my frustration I suggested we play a board game. My "date" called finally between 7:30 and 8. He had arrived home at 6:30, having started early morning. I wasn't upset. I told him I was playing a board game with a friend and encouraged him to join us. He said we'd long be finished before he got there, which meant he wasn't coming for a couple more hours. At 10:30 long after the game finished, I called and got his answering machine.

He never did show up or call. Just as well I suppose. It's financial season and I doubt he'll need friends or lovers for at least another 10 or 20 years....

So, this is Day 2 of my writing push and I will have all afternoon to write, without distractions. Work is the best medicine for dispelling unwanted romance. :o)

No comments: