Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Blue Monday

Article on CBC on-line news - "January 17th is considered to be the year's most depressing day."

Two months ago in mid-November our first cold snap of the new winter (-17C) came hurtling at us a full month before the official start of winter, which seemed to verify long range forecasts and the Farmers' Almanac, that this would possibly be our worst winter on record, even worse than the winter of 2008/09 where we received six major snowfalls between December 13 and the end of the year. Since I am unable to walk on ice and snow without falling, and cannot get back up if I fall, I was quite anxious about it.

That was then. That was the last cold snap below -10 and the last snow we saw until last week. But last week's snow lasted less than a day and since then we have been riding high on balmy temperatures on or near +10 with no return to winter forecast for the coming week. So I am anything but blue today. Light is returning to the sky and I can see where I am going before and after work, and if there is another cold snap it is likely to be short-lived. What a relief! I am filled with optimism for the coming year. Only my skies are blue.

Today, I also submitted my formal expression of interest for a position with the new Employer Contact Centre, which would be my first job change that I have had to apply for in nine years. I hate the complicated and convoluted federal job selection process but, even though I am staying with the same department, they might receive more interest than there are positions available and need something to justify who they have chosen. I am confident that I will be one of them, given that I have been cross-trained for both work with the pensions and Employment Insurance, but even if I am not chosen I would be fine staying where I am. I cannot lose.

PHOTO: Industrial Sex: this photo has nothing to do with my entry, but I couldn't resist....

No comments: