Friday, April 30, 2010

a senior's moment

(Update: I'm on my 3rd day home with a head cold. The sore throat is gone and although I feel stronger today I am glad I stayed home. At this moment I am at the peak of the runny nose/sneezing phase. It is miserable. I have post-nasal "waterfall" and I blow my brains out every few minutes in a sneezing fit. I've given up on tissues and am resorting to paper towels because they are larger. My nose is raw. Somebody shoot me now!)

Yesterday, when I got up to the cashier at Shoppers' Drug Mart she smiled at me with a glint of recognition in her eye. "Are you..." I was flattered that she might recognize me. She hesitated and began again with a slight blush in her cheeks. "Are you.... ("that famous stained glass artist who did that window..." I expected her to say) ...55?"

"What?" I said, caught totally off-guard.

"I'm sorry. I hate asking people that, but today is Seniors' Day in the store and you could get 10% off for your purchases...."

There's a first for everything. I've never been asked that before. There goes my self-image of one who looks years younger than his age. Nothing quite like having someone piss in your soup. I took the crappy 10% discount out of spite and glumly left the store.


"There's nothing as inconvenient as an old queen with a head cold." - Robert Preston in "Victor Victoria"

No comments: