Friday, February 3, 2012

20 years ago today – Day 337

Monday, February 3rd – Benaulim Beach

I had a great sleep. There are mosquito nets to drape over the bed at night but there aren’t many mosquitoes buy the beach. It is cool enough with the sea breezes to sleep without the fan on. I find the sound of waves very relaxing.

We head over to Pedro’s to have breakfast. He makes us pancakes with local fruit on the side. We chat briefly with the other guests but they keep most to themselves, which is fine with us. After breakfast is digested I go for a swim. There are other crabs in the water, large red ones that hold up their claws towards me menacingly as I swim over them. They are the only interesting sea life I see, except for a skate.

Most of the day I lie on the beach and read. Frank is beside me sometimes and at other times off taking a walk. We both like to explore by nature. A day or two of this is fine but I’d go crazy just lying around uselessly working on a tan. I like lying naked on beaches when I can find them. Marcia and Craig say there still are some secluded one in north Goa. Frank says he’s sunbathed naked on the dunes in Holland. I am thinking as I lie here what it would be like for me lying nude with him. I’ve seen his hunky body naked a few times after his shower. The scenery would certainly be good if he was there, but there is no point fantasizing about men I cannot have. It would seem disrespectful too, as he has been such a good friend.


I return to the cabin with him to make sandwiches for lunch, to save money and to eat our groceries before they spoil in this heat. Then it’s back to the beach for more bathing and a swim before I retreat to the shade on Pedro’s patio. The local fishermen return a bit earlier today so I walk down to meet them. They are relaxing and chatting. They had no catch today. Of course, they ask where I am from and I tell them I am traveling by bicycle. They think I live an idle life to be doing a trip like this, and compared to them perhaps I do. One of them sees my hands and he lifts one up to show the others how soft and smooth it is. He shows he his. It is so heavily calloused from working the ropes on the fishing boats that it looks like a foot.

I return to Pedro’s to look for Frank. I find him in the cabin showered. After I have my turn rinsing off the salt water we head back to Pedro’s for another delicious meal and a drink. It is lovely here but I am already restless. The quiet is pleasant but boring. We discuss where we want to go from here. There is an abandoned Portuguese fort at Cabo de Rama about 60 kilometres south of here according to our map, but I can find nothing in our guide book about it. “Perfect,” Frank declares. “We should definitely check it out before they put it in the guide book.” “It’s a plan,” I say. I love this guy’s attitude!


PHOTO 1: Benaulim Beach from Pedro's
PHOTO 2: local fishing boat on Benaulim Beach

No comments: