Tuesday, January 10, 2012

20 years ago today – Day 313


View Larger Map

Friday, January 10th – New Delhi

Frank has gone shopping to look for gifts for his family before leaving New Delhi and I, not having much better to do, take out my bike and ride to Canadian High Commission south of Connaught Circle to read Canadian newspapers so that I have some idea what has been going on back home recently. The CHC is in a pompous, prestigious office in a low complex about three kilometres south-west of the south end of Janpath Ave, off a broad boulevard called Shanti Path. The staff members there are not too accommodating to Canadian visitors and make no effort to interact with me. They have copies of the Ottawa Citizen and the Globe & Mail, which I spend 45 minutes reading in the outer lobby.



There isn't too much interesting in the papers. Brian Mulroney's government is struggling with only an 11% approval rating so it looks like it won't survive the next election. There are several articles referring to the new recession that is affecting the economy, especially in Ontario where many industries were protected by trade tariffs until free trade cut them loose. Thank gawd I have a secure government job. Afterwards, I cycle east to see the India Gate, a tall, narrower
version of the Arch de Triomphe in Paris, built to commemorate Indian soldiers who died in WW I. From there I check out the Qutub Minar, the world's tallest free standing brick minaret, built in 1193 AD during the ancient Tughlaq Dynasty.


I return to the tourist camp and lock up my bike again. I buy my lunch from a local restaurant that serves falafel sandwiches. Frank has still not returned after I have finished so I head out on my own. I walk north to the Old Delhi Bazaar on Chiti Qabar Marg, less than a kilometre away. It is a less congested and more




pleasant market than Pahar Gang, certainly less tiring. I continue north to see the large Jama Masjid Mosque and sprawls out majestically at the end of a long promenade with dramatic view lines about half a kilometre further north. I walk halfway around it without paying admission to go inside. It was built in 1650 AD by the same Shah who built the Red Forts in Agra and in Delhi, half a kilometre east of the mosque, as well as the famous Taj Mahal in Agra.

North of the Jama Mosque I pass through the colourful Chandni Chowk market, which is perhaps the most interesting of the three I have visited so far. From there, I walk east to the massive Red Fort. The Red Fort is incredibly large. I start walking around it but I give up part way. The commotion and excitement of the day has tired me out. I stop to pick up some vegetables in the Old Delhi Bazaar to share with Frank on my way back to the tourist camp.

Frank is relaxing the sun of the courtyard of the tourist camp reading a book when I arrive back. He greets me in his usual cheery manner. We chat for a while about our respective days and then make dinner together. The two English fellows have left for Agra today so we eat dinner alone tonight. After dinner Frank tells me he has researched tours to Agra for tomorrow. The fees are a bit steep but how can someone come this close to the Taj Mahal without seeing it. I am very excited about seeing it. For a change, I will spend the day with Frank.



PHOTO 1: the India Gate
PHOTO 2: Qutub Minar
PHOTO 3: Delhi street
PHOTO 4: Chiti Qabar Marg
PHOTO 5: Old Delhi market
PHOTO 6: Jama Masjid Mosque
PHOTO 7: entrance to the Red Fort
PHOTO 8: arches inside the Red Fort
PHOTO 9: Frank's photo: minaret at sunset

No comments: