Thursday, December 15, 2011

20 years ago today - Day 287


View Larger Map

Sunday, December 15th - Quetta

My bowels are healing. This morning I still have a little discomfort and a minor bout of diarrhea, but this is much better than when my small intestine was bleeding in Esfahan. It clearly isn't a case of amoebic dysentery, which is what I was really afraid of. It seems strange that only Coen fell ill when most of us were sharing the same water. This bout started the day after he fell ill so I feared the worst, but one doesn't get over amoebic dysentery after a day and a half.

Still, I have to take it easy. There are so many types of bacteria in this part of the world that are foreign to my immune system, so the challenges keep coming. After my first serious illness in Iran, I am sure my immune system is racing in response, over-reacting to the attack. I will stick to yogurt and juice for now so not to acerbate the situation. Besides, I don't have any money to play with. I am down to my last $40. If Coen and Vincent don't make it to Quetta in the coming week, I will run out of money. I am really on thin ice in many ways - financially, medically, and socially. Interesting times!

I meet Carlos for a tea late morning after visiting the post office, where I left a message for Vincent telling him where we are staying. This is three days since Coen fell sick and he might not be ready to travel for another few days, if all goes well. Carlos is restless in a city. He prefers to be riding in open country. While he enjoys my company, he is used to being on his own and prefers to walk around the city alone. For my part, I don't care for walking around much today. I just want to recuperate

I make a trip to a local bank to discuss a way to resolve my lost bank card situation. They took my passport information and forwarded it to Visa with my signed request to replace my card. I paid a fee to them to send it by express post to my Canadian Visa Card office and requesting that they send it to Poste Restante in Rawalpindi, where we will need to go to apply for our Indian visitor visas. To get an advance, I will need to come in with Coen or Vincent, someone with valid bank cards, and discuss options. At least the first step has been made to re-establish my banking abilities, which feels good.


I haven't seen either Kate or Stephen all day, which is a treat. I spend the latter part of the afternoon reading back at the Boys and Girls Club. In the evening Carlos and I go out to look for something to eat. I order some soup and bread, keeping it simple. His falafel looks really good. Maybe I will try it tomorrow if all goes well with my digestion tonight.


PHOTO: Liaqat Bazaar in Quetta

No comments: