Monday, March 21, 2011

20 years ago today – Day 18

Thursday, March 21 – a regression of sorts

Getting back to normal digestion after my food poisoning isn’t going as smoothly as I had hoped. I am afraid Mike and Nick’s wonderful pasta dinner last night has met a sorry end – my sorry end, that is. No solid food for me today.

The three of us had discussed a lot of options of what we could do today last night, but this morning it’s raining and windy. It’s definitely neither a beach nor sight-seeing day, or cycling for that matter. I am staying in, writing postcards and letters and reading my book. Before I know it, it is 4 o’clock.
While it was still light, I take a stroll to the beach hoping to meet some locals or other travelers, but there is no one but me. Perhaps because the last rain shower was less than an hour ago. I’m definitely taking my chances on the weather. I waited for Nick and Mike at the Forteleza and to meet any lone backpackers who might want to share our flat. There are no other backpackers tonight either. Keeping up our idyllic set up in our “villa” is beginning to feel like work, or worse, being unemployed.


The boys both brought their cameras tonight but the sunset fizzled out behind a distant bank of clouds. Back at the villa, they make another pasta extravaganza but I have to decline it. My rectum needs to heal. I have plain yogurt instead – God’s food, for it teaches the body forgiveness. The German girls arrive and start making their meal, and then we sit, drink and talk for the rest of the evening. I start telling stories of my past Arctic adventures and various movie plots. Everyone went to bed. I hope they forgive me.

Anyway, we are leaving for points east tomorrow, so I suppose it doesn’t matter.


PHOTO 1: Sagres Beach with surfer
PHOTO 2: more cliffs, time to move on....

No comments: