Tuesday, August 3, 2010

post-Pride exhaustion

Flash & Doozer arrived around 11pm on Saturday night, having barely caught the ferry from Galiano to Tsawwassen. Doozer was running late trying to cash in the final three tables at his pizza restaurant job. Flash had come in to help him as they were short-staffed and they both had to make a mad dash down the dock to catch the boat at the last minute.

They dragged their asses in here while late, kisses and hugs all around as they hadn't stayed with me for more than 2 years. They went out for a quick bite and then came back in. Then we crashed, they using my bed and me using the futon sofa in the living room. We all slept hard.

It's was my big idea to make them breakfast of eggs pacifica bennies on English muffins with Hollandaise sauce, avocados, tomatoes and grapefruit juice. Afterward, Flash donned his woman's polyester pant suit, earrings and clown hat and set off to glide along with the Pride parade, juggling his bowling pin-shaped batons while roller-blading. Doozer and I walked up to Bute St and north to Robson to watch the parade. We found stools on the patio of the Bread Garden 100m off the parade route but up the hill with a slight overview of the passing spectacle.

The parade held no surprises. The pleasure was in Doozer's charming Southern smile and kind-heartedness. After the parade had passes and the crowds had thinned somewhat we headed back to my place and played a couple games of Settlers of Catan. Doozer wasn't much of a strategist but he was great to play with as he found it all be be such fun. He doesn't get all prissy and picky about the rules like Rich can often be. We ordered a pizza while Flash was picking up tickets for the Spitbash for the both of them. Eventually they headed off for the dance and I crashed.

Sunday they took me to breakfast at Joe's, and then Doozer headed back to Tsawwassen to catch the ferry back to Galiano. Cayenne arrived shortly after that. Flash went shopping for last minute supplies for his coming week of camping in Salmo at the Shambala concert and Cayenne took me to Moxie's Classic Grill where we met Jason, Tim and Clayton, the other "Harpies" who inhabit his tight social circle in SF. It was a brief meeting but they look like interesting guys.

Afterwards, Cayenne and I came home. Flash was back and in he midst of repacking his many bags. He had an amazing amount of stuff that I would think wasn't necessary. He was leaving very early and planned to be in bed early too, but Cayenne and I were able to squeeze in a game of Settlers of Catan and head off to bed while he was still at it.

I was awfully tired but Cayenne and I had a go at having sex. It was semi-successful. I really only wanted to cuddle but it was a bit too warm for that too. He was a restless sleeper prone to snoring at points so I had a broken sleep. When I woke at 5:30 I got up to see if Flash had slept in but he was already gone. I said my goodbyes to Cayenne and walked to work.

After a hellish day of dealing with the terminally bewildered who could not accept simple advice or answers without trying to argue about it for half an hour each, I dragged my sorry, unfocused mind and ass home, stopping on the way to get a shot in the ass from my doctor and do a little grocery shopping.

Cayenne had slipped my key under the door and I accidentally kicked it an irretrievable distance under the dishwasher while trying to pick it up. While I was trying to dig it out Danzante called. I had forgotten that tonight I had agreed to let him put me through an art therapy exercise for his counseling course. I wasn't in the mood and even less so when he told me what it was: to draw all my family members (full bodied, no stick figures) doing something. I did my best, choosing to draw them doing what they they like to do. We talked about it and I reluctantly put on my shoes to open the garage door for him.

This isn't good writing, I know, and I feel so wasted that I am useless. All I want to do is sleep.

No comments: