Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Deep freeze

It is frigging cold outside. It's the type of cold that freezes my nose hairs together and claws at my leg muscles through the thin insulation of my blue jeans. The rest of me is fine, snugly blanketed in my new winter coat, but I don't want to risk the walk to work.

Five years ago in January I walked the mile in -7C (20F) and my leg muscles turned to jelly when I tried to hurry to get to the elevator that someone was holding for me. I fell hard on my tailbone, which was mildly bruised, but felt nothing else for four months until I was doing sit-ups in May. I felt a nerve being pinched at the top end on the front of my right thigh. I didn't realize it then, but the fall had started a hairline fracture at the top of my femur. The crack gradually grew over the next seven months until I fell and the femur cracked in half from hip to my knee.

I could wear long johns but would require changing at work or being uncomfortable all day. The bus is looking really good right now. I'm counting the days until the end of February.....

Tonight I ventured out to treat Stitch to a birthday dinner. My 43 yr old friend is such a ray of sunshine in my life!

No comments: