Sunday, November 15, 2009

new patterns

It has been almost six months since I have finished a piece of stained glass artwork. Yesterday I finished Raspberry Showboat's 158-piece Celtic ankh but I forgot to take a picture of it before he picked it up today. It would have been pointless anyway. This weekend has been so overcast and dark that setting something on the window sill would not be enough to illuminate it. I'll post a photo later when Raspberry sends me one.

I have decided to go down to Portland to celebrate Thanksgiving with some Faerie friends, my first American Thanksgiving ever. It will be exotic. My host will be my friend Wallowa, the owner and landlord of a north Portland Faerie commune known to local Faes as the "Chicken Ranch". I am not sure why. The tenants are not that young.

I have heard that Wallowa extends an open invitation to a large number of friends every year and that this year he will have a sit down feast for 35(!!) guests. Some stay over and of course beds need to be shared. He tells me that one Fae, Mystic One, has asked to be paired up with me. I have a mixed reaction to that. It has been a long time since I have known of anyone who wanted to sleep with me, so I am flattered. I have met Mystic One before and chatted with him twice at Breitenbush, but he has never attracted me sexually. His former Fae name of choice was "Fister", which has the same effect as putting lemon juice on my tight little Canadian ass. Hopefully he respects boundaries.

Wallowa has spent a couple years building an extension onto his sizable house, most of it underground. It is a tasteful expansion but it is not quite complete. When I first visited it three months ago there was a large hole in the wall between the kitchen and the new extension where a window will go when the framing is completed. It's a big space, around 39" wide by 37" tall. He wants a stained glass window installed there, something that lets in light but obscures at the same time to give a little privacy between the units. I have been working on patterns.
He says he wants something simple. He suggested a couple shoots of bamboo to our mutual Fae friend Gerry, who I taught the art of stained glass to 2+ years ago, but Wallowa is a colourful character and needs colour in the kitchen, something that stands out. I have suggested a colourful rooster, like the one in the picture but without the two hens in the foreground. I might leave in the white hen. After all, what would be more appropriate for the Chicken Ranch than chickens? He has also suggested a stylized, geometric Frank Lloyd Wright-type pattern which I am also researching, but my hunch is that he will need something more organic to match his luxurious patio garden off the kitchen. I hope to have both patterns ready to take to him before Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Awen said...

Boy I had been just as long without writing... And eventually felt so burnt that coming back to my healing/magic felt hard. Well, you know you still got the skills, and you'll always have fun doing your Work, no matter how long you stray.

About sharing the bed, please don't play the girl. "No" usually works when it sounds like "no". But a Faerie can always use company to spoon through the night. :)

I'm also getting ready for my 1st US-style Thanksgiving ever. But the theme for the potluck will be Thai food. It'll be fun!

SickoRicko said...

Hi Luke - I found your blog! Ricko here, and I just wanted to say that the "Chicken Ranch" name, as I understand it, comes from the play "Best Little Whore House In Texas." But I could be wrong.