Saturday, September 19, 2009

My young German couch surfer

Lennart is my first couch surfer since late June, my 41st overall since May 2007. He arrived at my home Sunday afternoon after spending 3 days at the International Youth Hostel. He had come over to introduce himself the day before while Eric Mourre and I were playing a game of "Settlers of Catan". At 19, he's the youngest couch surfer I've ever hosted, but by no means the most immature.

He's shorter and slight with tight, curly blond hair that he says grows into an Afro if he doesn't keep it closely cropped. He picked me for a host because I live in the core, not because I am gay. He isn't bothered by my gayness; he doesn't walk around with his defenses up like younger gay guys would. In spite of his young age, he has had the same girlfriend for 4 years, twice as long as my longest relationship. But then, he's probably easier to get along with.

He's sharp as a tack too. He fully understood the logic of "Settlers of Catan" before he was half-finished the first game. I have nothing on him as an adversary.

He is considerate and orderly, like many Germans, but he also has a freshness about him, a joyful, loving ease exuded only by young people who have been raised in a warm, nurturing environment and who not yet experienced deep loss or pain. He inspires my parental instincts. I've been making him meals and helping him out wherever I can, though I don't think he really needs my help.

It was a bit hard to endure company the first day or so after learning of Matt's death, especially when I lost sleep the next two nights, but he was a very compassionate friend through it all, and his company was probably better for me than solitude would have been.

Today he is hiking in Lynn Canyon. He'll return this evening to play his first 4-person games of Settlers with Luis, Rich and I. I suspect he will move onto Vancouver Island Monday or Tuesday.

No comments: